Listen up! 7 tips for healthy ears.
Overall health is important and often times we may overlook the ears -- so listen up! Dr. Linda McCafferty with Middle Tennessee Medical Group has some important tips for keeping your ears healthy this summer and all year round.
- Clean your ears with extra care. Wipe the outer ear with a washcloth or tissue. Do not put anything into your ear smaller than your elbow. Do not use Q-tips, bobby pins or sharp pointed objects to clean your ears. These objects may injure the ear canal or eardrum.
- Earwax is the ear's mechanism for self-cleaning. If you have a build-up of wax that is blocking your hearing, see your doctor to have it removed.
- If you experience itching or pain in your ears, consult with your primary care physician to determine the appropriate treatment and to determine if you need to see a specialist.
- If you have pierced ears, clean your earrings and earlobes regularly with rubbing alcohol.
- When outdoors in sunny weather, remember to use a sunscreen on your ears.
- If you notice unusual bumps or scaly areas on the exterior ear, consult your physician.
- See an ear doctor immediately if you injure your ears, experience ear pain, or notice changes in your ears or hearing.